Best Laid Plans

In true Murphy’s Law fashion, I got the flu for New Year’s. That set me back a couple of weeks. But the great thing about setting New Year Goals rather than making resolutions is that you don’t break goals.

With goals when you get off track you simply refocus and keep going. So that’s where I’m at this week. I am over the flu, refocused, and  moving forward. And I am NOT telling myself I am two weeks behind. Instead I know I’m progressing in a positive direction toward my 2014 Goals and that is producing and will continue to produce real and positive outcomes.

How about you? Have you had a Murphy’s Law experience with your 2014 goals yet? If so, how have you handled it?

About these ads

11 responses

1. Glad you’re feeling better! I’m not all that serious about New Years resolutions. While I see the New Year as a good opportunity to make changes, I also see a new day, a new week, and a new month as good opportunities to make changes, as well.

Happy Healthy New Year!

January 15, 2014 at 9:42 am

• That’s a terrific way to look at it and probably why you are so great at getting things done. :)

January 15, 2014 at 5:03 pm

2. GE Contest has other things on hold for the moment, but plugging along slowly and surely. Glad you’re feeling better.

January 15, 2014 at 11:48 am

3. Plugging is never a term I would you in relation to you, Jen. You do more in a weekend than I do in a week!

January 15, 2014 at 5:04 pm

4. Boy, have I. But I’ve learned that doing what you’re doing — moving on as planned instead of trying to play catch up — is the very best way to handle it. Better not to beat ourselves up and risk burning out! Glad you feel better.

January 15, 2014 at 5:30 pm

5. Thanks, Annie! :)

January 15, 2014 at 7:05 pm

6. Oh, not sure about Murphy…more of a spectacular crash and burn with the resolutions. Good times though as I’ve decided to dig in and get more involved with the direction of my work. So yeah, you hit the nail on the head – regroup, once more into the breach!

January 23, 2014 at 5:27 pm

7. Forward into the breach we go.

January 23, 2014 at 5:39 pm

8. My developer is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.
    But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type on several websites for
    about a year and am nervous about switching to another
    platform. I have heard excellent things about blogengine.net.
    Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it?
    Any help would be really appreciated!

July 17, 2014 at 11:53 pm

9. First off I want to say great blog! I had a quick question in which I’d like to ask
    if you don’t mind. I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear
    your thoughts before writing. I have had difficulty clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out.

I truly do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first
    10 to 15 minutes are lost just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or
    tips? Thank you!

August 26, 2014 at 1:08 pm

10. I use a timer. I set it for 5-10-15-20 minutes (depending on my mood) and start writing, even if it’s just nonsense. When the timer goes off, I reset it and leave my desk to do something active like housework. When the timer goes off again, I stop the housework, reset the timer and begin writing again. I repeat that until the words are coming too urgently to obey the timer’s demand to stop. For some reason that works well for me. But each writer is different and what works for one may not for another.

Hope you find your perfect kick start method. :)

August 26, 2014 at 11:33 pm